Saturday 18 October 2014

The last day before Diwali holidays

 

         The day all students look forward to-the day before vacations. The beginning of holidays. Tempting. In my school, there is a 15 day long holiday each year for Diwali. Diwali, the "festival of lights", is a Hindu festival celebrated in autumn. It signifies the victory of good over evil.
 
         October 17, 2014 was the last day of the school before the Diwali vacations. The teachers had asked the students to bring some snacks for a Diwali party for this day. It was the first time we had heard the word ‘party’ from the teachers. In the morning of the particular day, I sure was pretty excited. I reached school. Everyone looked normal. The party was going to be held in the last period of the day. Till then, we had to study.
 
          Finally, the wait was over. The last period came, and we officially declared ourselves free from studies for a fortnight. As soon as the bell rung marking the beginning of the last period, all students who had brought snacks opened their packets of chips and other stuff. They started sharing their snacks. A nice, friendly atmosphere was created. I liked it. Our class teacher came into the class and exclaimed, “Hey everyone! Started without me?” Before we could respond, someone called her from outside, so she left.
 
          Now things started to get a little bit ‘polluted’. Snack wrappers were lying everywhere. I should tell you, unknowingly I even sat on one. My friend Gautam and I were eating our snacks and passing our time, waiting for the last bell for the day. The next thing that happened was certainly not expected by me. Rain started to pour down in the class in a horizontal direction coming from somewhere behind me. I took about 2 seconds to process the thought, during which I completely got soaked. Instinctively, I looked behind. Three guys were emptying their carbonated soft drink bottles on the rest of us.
 
          I shouted one word “Hey!” and bolted to my left to avoid the drinks. They kept on emptying their bottles and swirled them at full speed. God. Two of them were spraying on the two groups formed at the left and right sides of the class, while one sprayed in the center, where only Gautam and I were sitting. Then, out of nowhere, the class teacher marched into the class and stared right into their eyes. They dropped their bottles on the floor. The teacher was extremely angry with them. Poor guys, last day celebration ruined. Still, there should be some limits on the way you party.
 
          People of my class tried to cheer our class teacher up. I hadn’t seen our teacher angry ever before. The whole class had become sticky with the drink. The teacher finally gave in and started giving sweets to all. She tried to take things into her own hands. She tried her best to organize a song game. But the game was a total failure. The children made groups and sang their own songs in the loudest voice they could. Their way of enjoyment. Not mine. Gautam and I quietly sat in our places. Within moments, two large groups were formed around us-one immediately in front of us, the other right behind us.
 
          I didn’t get it. It seemed like we were the kings of the class while the others sang to us. The only problem I had was that the songs weren’t melodious at all. In fact, they were causing some serious noise pollution. It didn’t feel nice. The Central Pollution Control Board had to be notified. I seriously wanted to get out of there. But the stadium was jam-packed. I wasn’t able to move a muscle. I felt like curling myself into a ball. I felt helpless, to be precise. Then a great personality of our class yelled my name and asked me to sing. That was the last thing I had thought of doing that day. All started to shout my name. Come on. Everyone looked at me with big round eyes. Now, what did they expect me to do? Although I was enjoying all the attention, they ultimately got bored of asking me and started singing their songs again.
 
          The bell rang. Holidays! The moment every student of my school was waiting for. Finally, the period got over.  A few of us felt relieved, while others wanted to continue the party forever. Each person was telling the other, “Happy Diwali, my friend!” We literally ran down to the ground towards the buses. This was probably the first time I had experienced a real school party.
 
-  Manas Trivedi
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment