Monday 3 November 2014

The Cricket Match

          That’s the word. Oh yeah. Cricket. Man, everyone’s crazy about that game in India. The game played with a bat and a ball. Kind of similar to baseball. Though hockey is the national game, cricket is the most popular game in India.

          At the official level, cricket is played between two teams, each having eleven players. They play in a stadium, the bowler throws the ball, and the batsman hits the ball with the bat. The fielders try to stop the ball from reaching the boundary line and try to take his/her wicket. Yeah. Blah blah blah. Rules, rules and rules. Okay, so I hope you got it. It’s an outdoor game.

          In the stadium, where it is played, sit thousands of spectators watching the cricket match. One fine cloudy day I saw my father smiling. I asked him what the matter was. Then he tried to look as serious as possible. He asked me plainly, “Like cricket?” I, like every other Indian, said yes. Then he said, “Would you give the newspaper to me? On the table.” Your wish is my command, sir. I went to the table, picked the newspaper. Some papers fell from it. What else but advertisement pamphlets. But man, believe it or not, they were cricket match tickets! Four of them in all. Bingo. I was going to see a real cricket match. A first for me. You might be saying, “Yeah, whatever.” But still…

          The match was in the evening. We all got ready to go. I had made a nice poster supporting my home team, Pune Warriors India. The match was between this team and the team Chennai Super Kings. I took my autograph book along, and we proceeded. The stadium was quite far from my home. On the way I saw many mountains on the way. Finally, we got a glimpse of the stadium. All lighted and ready to go. It was a summer afternoon and a cool breeze was blowing. Some clouds had started gathering in the west, which looked, well, sort of cloudy. Suddenly I thought about rain stopping the match. But the weather forecast was clear skies. I tried to forget about it and went in through a nice sweet door with a mean looking guard. I showed my ticket to him, who punched a hole into it. Thank god not through me. In the stadium was a super gigantic crowd. Amazingly enormous, to be precise. The stadium was jam-packed. Our seats were in the middle rows. We sat in our seats, ready to get tired. “Popcorn, sir?” came a man. He called me ‘sir’. I at the time was a guy of thirteen. “Sir? Are you serious?” I asked him. No reaction. My father came and bought a big bag for me. Awesome thing to munch on. Within minutes the match started. The players entered. And my seat was right next to the aisle. I stuck out my autograph book through the net bordering the aisle. But none of the guys autographed on it. Still, three of the Chennai Super Kings team’s players saw me, smiled, and left. Including the cricket supergiant M.S. Dhoni. I was two metres away from him. Probably one of the better than the best moments of my life. I let my eyes capture the moment. Probably never ever to happen again. It was an incredible feeling.

          I wanted to stop the time and savour the moment. But my incredible brother literally broke the feeling by dragging me to my seat. The match started with the Pune Warriors winning the toss and electing to bat first. It was a twenty over match, so the game was going to be short. The batsmen came. The first ball of the innings, one run. Next two, no runs. This continued for some overs. Boring. Then the ball went straight into the sky. And came down with record speed. The ball was caught by a fielder. The first shock. The batsman was out. Came in the second. He hit the ball straight over the boundary line. A six. Then he went on fire. He himself made a hundred runs in a jiffy. It seemed like today my home team was going to win.

          They made a good total score. The opponent team came in to bat. I was sure of the results of the game, but this time the team was on fire. Not a one man army, like the Pune Warriors. Sixes and fours, the guys turned the tide. After the team lost some wickets, their star player picked up his bat. M.S. Dhoni came in to bat. Enter the Dragon. I just kept looking at him, though from a distance. I mean, you don’t get to see celebrities every day. While I continued my staring, some people ahead and behind me started to shout. Through the corner of my eye, I saw a ball hurtling towards me. Dhoni had hit a six, and the ball was coming right for me.

Once in a lifetime opportunity. I jumped with all my might to catch it. And hundreds of others jumped around me. And, oh yeah, I caught the ball. The camera was on me. I was on national TV. I simply said, “Yippee!” and threw the ball to the players. My mother dragged me out of the crowd, saying that a stampede could occur. The mean guard kept staring at me from the entrance gate. But, seriously, that was cool. Some guys around me asked me how it felt to catch the ball hit by Dhoni. What else but brilliant. The rest of the match continued, the players making a spectacular show. I was meanwhile going bonkers. Dhoni saw me, and I caught the ball he hit. Ouch. I forgot all about my popcorn tub, which as usual was emptied by my brother. The match was about to end. Six runs needed of the last two balls. It seemed near impossible, only if the players didn’t hit some nice shots. Dhoni on strike. The first ball, no runs. Six runs off the last ball. The guy’s expression seemed as cool as a cucumber. The bowler threw the ball. A tense moment. Dhoni picked up his bat and swung it hard. The ball went over the fence, right on to the roof. A six! Chennai Super Kings had won the match. And yeah, my home team lost. Great. Still, it was a great match. We went back home. I told all my friends about my experience. I got some impossibly great memories which will remain with me for the rest of my life.

-         Manas Trivedi

 
The game of cricket

1 comment: